Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Another Classic: Captive Bride by Johanna Lindsey

I don't know exactly how I feel about Johanna Lindsey. I find that it takes her characters too long to get it on and when they finally do, it's limited to only a couple of instances or she resorts to the 'fade to black' device. I believe the goal of romance is to give it all. While as a writer you do have to tickle the imagination of the reader, people these days are just too tired to conjure up what happens after the curtains have been drawn, the door closed,etc. I like my romance given. I want specific instructions. And I want plenty of passion, sex and fire between the romantic leads. Entertain me!

I have more than a couple of Johanna Lindseys and frankly, if someone wants them, I won't hesitate to give them all away. But my friends aren't huge fans of Lindsey either, so it's gonna be a while before someone takes these books. The first Lindsey sheikh romance I read wasn't from my bookshelf as well, but my sister's.


Captive Bride is Lindsey's first book, if I'm not mistaken. I won't be nitpicking the writing for the moment. What makes this quite different from her subsequent books is that there's a good number of sex scenes by comparison. That's one plus because frankly, this book bats negative all the way. 

Characters
Christina Wakefield and Philip Caxton a.k.a. Sheik Abu

Plot
Christina Wakefield is a goddess come to earth. Philip Caxton wants her. She rebuffs him. So he hatches this plan that  brings her to Egypt to be abducted and to be brought into his desert encampment. In his robes and around horses, he's not Philip Caxton but Sheik Abu, barbarian and thief.

Gripes
Phillip is no Alpha male but actually comes off as a sociopath. The man's got no guilt, no conscience. Here's a list of his transgressions:
abduction
beatings
rape
if he isn't saying bullshit like "your body was made for love" he threatens her.
he's alive (and thank God, only in this book)

Christina is no good either. How can she stand being around this dick?  You know it's a bad romance when you go, "Man! Oh, yeah!" when Christina stabs Philip. She should've aimed lower.

Philip cements his top spot in the Dick Hall of Fame by insisting that it won't be rape between them. I don't care how you say it, package and wrap it in shit but when a woman says, yells, shouts, No, it sure as hell ain't yes. Rape is rape. 

EVERYONE SCREAMS! EVERYONE! AAAH! 

Goes into the Kasbah or Cast Out?
Out. Out. Out.










No comments:

Post a Comment